Our experts have represented some of the largest players in private equity and venture capital including Pacific Equity Partners, the largest private equity firm in Australia and New Zealand, CHAMP, Advent International, Riverside, CDH Funds, KKR, Pencarrow, Maui Capital, Crescent, Apollo, and Primavera.
Our team has experience in a variety of private equity and venture capital transactions, particularly in mergers and acquisitions, financing and in advising on tax issues in this area. Collaborating with experts in these areas across our practice, we know how to manage any issues that arise from complex, high value private equity or venture capital transactions.
Clients benefit from our strong links with many private equity houses, advisers and industry participants, and we regularly advise on all aspects of private equity and venture capital acquisitions, bolt-ons, exits and divestments, structuring, fund establishment, financing and tax.
Our M&A experience includes advising:
- Allnex (a portfolio company of Advent International) on its $1.05bn acquisition of Nuplex Industries Limited.
- Advising Riverside Private Equity in its divestment of Simcro to Sulzer AG.
- CDH on its acquisition of an 80% stake in GO Healthy.
- Primavera Capital and Shanghai Pharmaceuticals on their joint acquisition (by way of scheme of arrangement) of Vitaco.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its acquisition of Academic Colleges Group and Manuka Health New Zealand.
- Pacific Equity Partners and Griffin's Foods on the sale of Griffin's to Universal Robina.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its sale of Tegel to Affinity Equity Partners. In 2011 this deal won NZVCA Deal of the Year, AVCAL Deal of the Year and the International Retail and Consumer Product Deal of the Year.
- Pacific Equity Partners on its purchase of SCA Hygiene.
- CKI on its acquisition of EnviroWaste from Ironbridge Capital.
- Lazard Private Equity on its sale of PPI New Zealand.
- Pioneer Capital on its investment in Pukeko Pictures.
- SCF Partners on the acquisition of the Vause Group.
- CHAMP Private Equity on the acquisition of Blue Star Print Group.
- On the sale of 'Simply Squeezed' by Crescent Capital Partners Management to Frucor Beverages.
- Crescent Capital on the sale of Brandlines to DKSH.
- Crescent Capital Partners Management on the reorganisation of the New Zealand operations of National Hearing Care (owner of the Bay Audiology business) and the dual track IPO/trade sale process for disposal of the group.
Our financing experience includes advising:
- Ironbridge on its acquisition funding for the Envirowaste business.
- The mezzanine debt investor in the Pacific Equity Partners sponsored leveraged acquisition of Tegel.
- ANZ/Deutsche on Pacific Equity Partners acquisition of the Griffins business.
- A bank syndicate on its financing of Blackstone's acquisition of Burger King's New Zealand franchisee.
- A bank syndicate on its financing of Hirepool's acquisition of HireQuip.
Our tax experience includes advising:
- Numerous private equity firms on tax issues associated with structuring and financing investments into New Zealand.
- Government officials on the tax treatment of limited partnerships, including making representations concerning the current proposals to extend the thin capitalisation regime to investment by a foreign consortium. Also advice on investment by a single foreign investor, and participating in discussions concerning the application of anti-avoidance provisions which have assumed greater prominence in light of recent decisions of the courts, and international initiatives to combat base erosion and profit shifting (BEPS).